Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

How To Jumpstart a Lemon


Kids don't like to be told what to do.

It's an obvious fact and yet, I seem to forget it every time I nag nudge my kids to a task. I think I am helping them out but really what ends up happening is little movement and lots of yelling up and down stairs.

I could tell you what the experts would say on the topic of motivation but that would make for a very lengthy post. Instead, I'm going to share with you what my husband always says (from one kid to another) to break up the stalemate.

"Ethan, WHEN do YOU want to do your project?"

"Reese, WHEN do YOU want to play your flute?"

That "when" and "you" make all the difference. Words no longer become a heavy reminder or an absolute decree. We simply ask a question and it's for our kids to decide.

With freedom and a greater sense of control, everything changes. And that immovable, big lemon suddenly starts to roll.

Happy Friday:)

No comments:

Post a Comment