Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Lemons and Frogs

Before you ask, no, this is not a blog post offering recipes... NO frog legs delicacies here!

But "frogs" were our jumping (or hopping) off point for this month's rule, Bite the Lemon.

It all began with a book, Eat That Frog! Again, not a cook book but rather a how-to-book filled with techniques to break one of their procrastinating ways.

Via: Eat That Frog!

"Mark Twain once said that if the first thing you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with the satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the worst thing that is going to happen to you all day long.

Your "frog" is your biggest, most important task, the one you are most likely to procrastinate on if you don't do something about it. It is also the one task that can have the greatest positive impact on your life and results at the moment.

The author explained that if you can commit to "eating your frog" FIRST everyday, you create the habit needed to tackle those hard jobs. And each time you succeed, you set off a release of endorphins in your brain. You know, that high that comes over you when you finally complete a task you've been avoiding?

Who doesn't want to feel good?

After reading a few more chapters, I felt confident that I could inspire the kids with this information along with a few other nuggets I culled from my reading. Lemons, let me at 'em!!

Yeah, you already know where I am going with this... it didn't quite work.

Turns out my kids weren't impressed with my "info dump" or swayed by the discoveries of neuroscience.

It kind of bummed me out that they weren't as interested in all these details as I was. But that should have been my first clue. The way I think is different from Ethan which is different from Reese which is different from David.

It's more than just comparing apples to oranges, more like, lemons to frogs.

And that old slogan of "Just Do It", is going to need some work.





No comments:

Post a Comment