Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Don't Play the Blame Game



"You broke my goggles!"

"You made me lose my turn!"

"You ruined my picture!"

"You're mean!"

You, you, you!!! When the kids get mad, "you" statements of blame fly freely at our house.

In heated moments like this, no skill is involved, just a lot of finger pointing and tempers flaring. Matters don't get resolved as much as decibel levels rise and I am called in to play referee. To say it is exhausting would be an understatement.

If we are going to get better at arguing, we HAVE got to learn a new approach!!

To start, you, you, and you will have to go - goodbye! - and in it's place, one little power word needs to be remembered.

I'll let the kids at Mosaic Project tell you all about it.

 
Remember, when you teach kids to use I Statements, you teach them to "take their power back".
 
Power up, sounds good to me - Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment