Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Pink or Blue, for Who??

I'll admit, when we found out that we were expecting a baby boy, one of the first thoughts that went through my head was, "goodbye pink, it was nice knowing ya."

I quickly caught myself and paused. How easily the mind follows rules, particularly the ol' pink is for girls and blue is for boys...or is it?

Did you know that back in the 1940's, pink was considered a strong, manly color and best for boys while blue was regarded as delicate and dainty for girls? 

You can read more about pink and blue in the following articles...

How Pink and Blue Became Gender Specific - Co.DESGIN - CLICK HERE
When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink - Smithsonian - CLICK HERE

 

The tide may have since turned on Team Pink and Team Blue but now the trend is extending beyond clothes to toys, books and more hitting a saturation point. Don't believe me? Check out the work of South Korean photographer, JeongMee Yoon who picked up on the monochromatic movement on the streets of New York. When her own daughter amassed a hefty pink collection, she decided to document it.

"The Pink and Blue Projects were initiated by my five-year-old daughter, who loves the color pink so much that she wanted to wear only pink clothes and play with only pink toys and objects," 
                                                                                   - JeonMee Yoon


Blue is for Boys, Pink is for Girls: See Children Surrounded by Their Color Coded Toys - CLICK HERE

I think it's really interesting to see the progression of the pink/blue trend over the years and while I'm happy for the resurgence of pink today for boys and parents who buck trends, I know we won't totally become pink-huggers, but if I get my hands on this baby onesie, let the HUG-FEST begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment